Saturday, March 27, 2010

Day 2 and 3 of Tyler’s Balcarce, Argentina climbing trip...


On Day 2 a group of us (Colin, Tim, Mariano, Matias, and I) headed to the front section of bouldering areas on the sierra because of the previous nights rain. Our hopes were that the sun would have dried out these exposed areas by mid-afternoon. Sure enough, the areas were dry and it was climb on!


We began our warm up for the day on a really cool boulder about midway up the sierra. On it were multiple V0 and V1 problems. For all who have climbed out at Brownwood, you will notice that it looks exactly like the boulder where Mission Impossible is found, just flipped around and with numerous holds on its face. Below is a picture of Tim working the traverse along the topside of the boulder.After an hour or so there me moved up and to the left to another boulder with a few more V0 and V1 warm up problems.



To the left of this boulder we began the hard climbs of the day on a really amazing V2/V3 problem that comes out from beneath a flake into some weird body positions, crimpy holds, and a sick knee bar that lets you throw throw for a right hand jam that leads to the top out. Pictured is Tim working through the bottom section of the climb. Mariano, Tim, and I all had proud sends.



From the same sit starting position a V5 problem comes directly out from the flake to two terribly small crimpers, up to a bigger crimper, then a left toe in on the side of the flake leading to an enormous power move up to a weird finger jam with the left hand. The “enormous power move” was extremely shouldery and proved to much for me. Mariano sent the problem on his fourth try however and is pictured below making the big move to the jam that is a foot out of the picture (it was huge).



From here we moved on to a boulder with a huge face full of super sharp crimpers and juggy top outs. Mariano and myself began work on a V5 left traverse from the right side of the boulder, which tops out in the upper left section. He sent it after a few tries, while I got shut down on my third V5 of the trip. I had to skip the first move and try the V4 version. Both problems require you to use almost obsolete feet, static body positions through crimpy sections, and a good deal of trust that your toes won’t pop. Pictured is me making a big throw to a slopey edge. Again, I got shut down.



After our time here, Mariano and I worked two really dynamic V3 roof problems to finish the last hour of daylight. After a few tries on each we both sent the V3’s to round out another amazing day of climbing. Pictured is me controlling the swing of one the problems as you let the right heel come off and throw the left heel up by your left hand for the top out. Super sick.



On Day 3 Colin and I went out by ourselves in the afternoon and I worked through the V5’s again. And got shut down again. I did send the V4 variation on the face climb that I’m pictured attempting on my first go of the day. It was an awesome trip and I look forward to maybe getting back to La Barossa some day.

1 comment:

colt 45 said...

Tyler, what a great post. It's great to see climbing buddies out there climbing...internationally! Your pictures are fantastic and are climbing proud problems. Keep up the good work.