Sunday, March 1, 2009

Doing Work

Bryan and I took a half-day trip to Brownwood this weekend and met up with Ben. We were pumped to try a tall new route, so we set up a top-rope anchor and cleaned a great new route in the 5.11 range.

Both Ben and I have eyed the two faces on this arete. The arete is one of the more inspiring features at brownwood, with the look of a giant ship's prow. We also hung a rope over the arete proper, but it'll take some cleaning before its safe for serious attempts.





The new route going up the water streak (pictured), follows a 15 degree overhang on small crimps and shouldery gastons. The crux happens to come at the top, moving from a small slopey crimp to another slopey crimp. I did manage to top it out, and am trying to draw up a way to lead it on some long webbing runners from the top anchors.

I really need to take a moment and thank Ben and his wife Mary for everthing they do out at the Lake. He really has done a lot to make Brownwood and enjoyable and safe climbing spot for people of all ability levels, as well maintain access for guys like me. Thanks for everything ya'll do.

In other news: Bryan sent Scott's Problem, for the fourth ascent to date. Tyler managed to get some video footage of the send, so I hope to put together a clip sometime this week. Check back in for that. Proud send Bryan...Texas Torture next? Jagged Edge?



This is actually Tyler on Scott's Problem. He's now done all the moves and only lacks the link. He'll send next time I'm sure. He did nab an ascent of the dyno problem by the water. I'll also pick up some footage of this and make a clip...so you have multiple reasons to check the blog later this week. Until then, climb hard.

P.S.
Zack and Scott, you better be doing work down there at camp. I expect a second ascent of Buffet Line from you Zack. I hope to climb with you guys soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so freaking weak right now its pathetic, so I think Buffet Line is gonna have to hold off for awhile. The trip was great, but I'm way out of climbing shape.

Climbed Cowboy 5.9, Dvatsat 5.9+, and the lower pitches of Warm Up, Say No to Jimmy, Ground Control (all in the 5.9-10 ranges). Also did some of the camp top-ropes. Didn't attempt any of the taller 10's or 11's because I'm just too weak these days.

I do miss living within pedaling distance of good climbing.