Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Cleaning New Routes

This weekend's clean-up was a great success. We cleared the top outs to a few walls and while doing so I spotted this new climb.



But on Saturday evening I had to work and didn't get a chance to check it out. Today I was off though, so I went down to the lake right after class and lowerd down to check it out.

And its good...slightly overhanging, slopey crimps the whole way. I scrubbed the holds, but will save serious attempts for another day.

Then I went to the Cannibas Canyon to check out the arete right of This Is Your Brain, the 5.11 face that Ben, Bryan and I put up. The arete had several sections of chossy rock, so I lowerd down to do clean it up. Check out my anchor...



Ben met me there right as I was lowering down and he checked the top to set up an anchor, for top-rope attempts. We worked the climb until dusk and its another good one. Both Ben and I managed to peace together the moves and and agree that its probably in the 5.10+ range.

There are two variations at the top, taking either side of the arete. Both are worthwhile. I'm thinking it'll be called Just Say No.
Everytime I'm at the lake, I see more potential. Hopefully the poisin ivy will hold off for just a little while longer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You just gotta get in there with a little weed killer on that poison ivy. It may not be climbable this season, but after awhile you can beat that stuff back.

eric said...

thats a good idea, currently i've just been going at it with clippers, and its growing right back. i'll get some week killer